A machine-readable passport (MRP) is a machine-readable travel document (MRTD) with the data on the identity page encoded in optical character recognition format. Many countries began to issue machine-readable travel documents in the 1980s. Most travel passports worldwide are MRPs. They are standardized by the ICAO Document 9303 (endorsed by the International Organization for Standardization and the International Electrotechnical Commission as ISO/IEC 7501-1) and have a special machine-readable zone (MRZ), which is usually at the bottom of the identity page at the beginning of a passport.
The ICAO Document 9303 describes three types of documents. Usually passport booklets are issued in “Type 3” format, while passport cards typically use the “Type 1” format. The machine-readable zone of a Type 3 travel document spans two lines, and each line is 44 characters long. The following information has to be provided in the zone: name, passport number, nationality, date of birth, sex, passport expiration date and personal identity number. There is room for optional, often country-dependent, supplementary information. The machine-readable zone of a Type 1 travel document spans three lines, and each line is 30 characters long.
Manual Passport Application Form – Guidelines
- Download the application form.
- Open the application form using Adobe Acrobat. If you don’t have Adobe Acrobat installed on your PC please download and install it.
- Once the form is open, Fill in your form and print.
- You should see the print window.
- Use only A4 size paper to print the form.
- Click on the printer properties button to bring up the printer options. And click on Paper. This tab can vary from printer to printer but it will mention paper.
- From the paper size, (this can have different labels for different printers) select A4.
- Click on OK.
- On Page Scaling Select None.
- Click OK to print.
To download form click here
For those applicants who wants to apply MRP in fast track service via Department of Passport, Narayanhiti, District Verification Letter of CDO Office from where the citizenship card is issued is mandatory. To apply MRP in normal service, applicants have to apply via CDO Office from where the citizenship card is issued, fees is Nrs.5000.